Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Just a Dream...

"Once there was a boy back in time of the heathens.

Day after day, he just kept dreaming things that would make him weaker.

His father could not make him see, that there is more than dreams.

But he wouldn't listen to the words of his father, 'cause he's a little dreamer."
-"Little Dreamer", ENSIFERUM

I had an Iain-esque game watching streak going for awhile. In the 1st month of the season, I only missed three or four Phillies or Red Sox games. But Sunday, both teams had games at 1pm, and I was unable to watch them. It was too nice of a day for yachting to pass up. I cruised the seas on the Papelbon for most of the day.

I returned to the 'Ville that night, securing my boat in majestic Somerville Harbor, conveniently located near the DPW. I put the archived Phillies game on MLB.TV, intending to watch from the beginning. I would then watch the Sox game on NESN, at midnight. It seemed a foolproof plan. Until I fell asleep during the top of the 1st inning of the Phillies game.

I dreamt of a 44 yr. old SP named Jamie throwing no-hit inning after no-hit inning. Of a former ace starter putting out a fire as a reliever. My dreams turned Papelbonian, as I dreamt of young Jonathan, slaughterer of ducks, milker of cows. I dreamt of yet another scoreless inning, for a save against the MFYankees. My dreams then turned pigskin, as I envisioned the Philly Eagles drafting a QB with their 1st pick. (This was a bit on the unbelievable side, as the Iggles have too many holes at other positions. Right?) I dreamed of the New England Patriots acquiring Randy Moss. I awoke with a start.

But now that I think about it, the Moss move could totally work for the Patriots. It has the potential to be every bit as effective as the Terrell Owens acquisition has been for the Philly Eagles. The past few seasons with T.O. on the Eagles roster have been nothing short of magical.
Three 1500 yd., 18+ TD seasons. The three Super Bowl MVPs. The leadership T.O. has displayed, perhaps best exemplified by when he refused to accept the Super Bowl MVP award, unless he was named co-MVP with QB Donovan McNabb. The famous T.O. Wedding, with McNabb and Hugh Douglas as co-Best Men. The PSAs against drug abuse. His yearly gig as host of the Wing Bowl. The work with Chase Utley on fixing that Global Warming problem.
T.O. had a bit of a bad rap before he came to Philly. Randy Moss could be the same way with the Patriots.

The Red Sox had on off-day Monday. The Phillies played the Braves, and got only 4 hits against Tim Hudson, in a 5-2 loss. Jon Lieber gave up only 2 runs (1 ER) over seven innings, but allowed 7 hits and 6 (!) walks. Donut-Eater was ineffectively effective, But the Braves' Andruw Jones hit a 3 run walk-off HR in the 9th off the Phils' Antonio Alfonseca. I wish I had slept through that.

Both the Sox and Phillies are back in action Tuesday. I have a training seminar in an exotic locale (Beverly, Massachusetts!) on Tuesday, but I won't be missing either of the two teams' Tuesday night wins.

No comments: