Saturday, May 5, 2007

FOX

Dear FOX Broadcasting Company,

I suppose I can understand that you decided to air the Yankees-Mariners game in this region, rather than the Giants-Phillies matchup. You've cancelled Firefly, you've cancelled Drive, and you air an episode of House approximately every 16 minutes. Your decisions don't necessarily intersect with that little thing called "sense." I considered showing you the results of my survey of baseball fans, which was both representative, and of sufficient sample size. (When asked if the Phillies game should be aired over the Yankees game in this region, nine of of ten respondents either replied, "Sure, Mike." or "(expletive deleted) the Yankees.") But if you believed in statistically valid research, I suspect FOX News Channel would be a very different place. (Actually, that was probably the kind of study you do. So scratch that last part.)

But, fine. You can make your decisions as you see fit. But it is really necessary to black out the other games on MLB.TV? For goodness sakes, you forced me to listen to the game ON THE RADIO. You cannot mute Gary Matthews, Sr. on the radio broadcast. When he informed us of inside baseball info, such as, "the tie goes to the runner", I had no choice but to hear it. That is just a taste of the pain that HE inflicted on me. Additionally, Harry Kalas when he gave his patented HR call, you could hear the excitement through my dinky little computer speaker. The excitement as Barry (string of expletives deleted) Bonds inched closer to Hank Aaron. I would not have had to endure that blasphemous call if I was watching the television broadcast. When Manager Charlie Manuel pinch-hit Ryan Howard for Pat Burrell, even though the entire universe (known and unknown) knew this would result in a counter-move by the Giants of bringing in a southpaw, I had nowhere to hide. When Manuel brought in Yoel Hernandez to make his major league debut in a one run game in the 8th inning, I had to listen as all was lost on a HR by Pedro Feliz. I couldn't watch the horror unfold. So, yes FOX, you managed to make being a Phillies fan more painful today. Much obliged.

In closing, I would be more than glad to buy your sponsors' products. But, by blacking out the broadcast, I do not actually know who they are. So, you just cost yourselves $42. Or, quite possibly, more. If you multiply that by the gajillion fans who would have preferred the Phillies game, you get a real big number. Ginormous, actually. Possibly even higher than Adam Eaton's ERA. But you're probably not listening. Too busy plotting to cancel 24 on me.

Kindest regards,
Mike

No comments: