Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Philadelphia: City of Champions

Some random sports tidbits of major importance:

The Philadelphia Kixx, continuing the City of Brotherly Love's history of brilliance in the World of Sports, will play for the MISL Title against the Detroit Ignition on Saturday at 4pm. The game will be televised live on Versus. Ever since I made a Philadelphia Kixx cap my primary headwear choice, the team has been on fire. Coincidence? Unlikely. While my support may not be the primary factor for the Kixx' success (that might be All-Universe GK Peter Pappas), it is most certainly one of the reasons for their success. The Kixx hope to follow in the footsteps of Philadelphia's other Major Sports Champions, the Philadelphia Phantoms and the Philadelphia Wings. Tune in!

The Philadelphia Eagles signed left-footed PK E.J. Cochrane Monday as a training camp leg to split reps with left-footed starting PK David Akers. While the Eagles, appropriately, chose a left-footed kicker, to simplify the holding and snapping process in the preseason, I am concerned they chose the wrong lefty kicker. Obviously, my booming left leg should be taking the aforementioned preseason reps. While Cochrane had some success at Montana State, and has a pretty cool name, I have had success kicking balls effortlessly between trees in the backyard, and over soccer goals. If I was allowed to challenge Cochrane in Uno for the kicking job, I would totally win. It's disappointing that I won't get that chance. But if Akers gets injured battling ninjas on the eve of the 2008 Super Bowl, I'll be ready for the call.

It was announced Wednesday that women's professional soccer will return to the U.S. in April 2008 (about 3 months after the Eagle's Super Bowl victory) with 8 teams. Boston was announced as one of the initial 7 teams named, with Philadelphia, hopefully, going to be the unnamed squad. As a former Philadelphia Charge fan, I'm looking forward to watching the games. But, mostly, I think I am looking forward to the glorious return of U.S. National Team Defender Heather Mitts. If Philadelphia doesn't get a team, Heather would be a good fit for the Boston team. If hasn't been announced yet where the Boston team will play it's home games (the WUSA Boston Breakers played at BU's Nickerson Field), so there's a chance the games will be played at the field near my home. While the parking situation would be a bit dicey, and the capacity is only about 417, it would be quite convenient for me, which is of greater importance. There is currently a "No Soccer" sign up at the field, but I'm sure they would take it down for Heather.

No comments: