Friday, February 23, 2007

A commercial interruption


The Phillies have unveiled their 2007 advertising campaign- "Goosebumps- What will they do for you?" I hope they didn't do much from a financial standpoint for the peeps who came up with the slogan and the commercials, because they are a bit lackluster. In a season in which the Phils are looking to play .600 ball, their slogan is .400 winning percentage quality. And the goosebumps you feel when watching the commercials, are likely more reminiscent of what you felt when you heard the Phils had picked up Abe Nunez, than what you felt when the Phillies won in 1980. There is voting available to pick your favorite of the 6 commercial series. In the absence of a "They all suck option", I abstained. View and vote here.

The kind of vibe that I think the Phillies were going for really comes out well in a series of NHL commercials that have recently begun airing in the U.S. My favorite of this new batch is here. (My favorite part is when the guy puts the money back in his pocket.) Maybe, before next season, the Phillies can get the group responsible for this creation to make some commercial magic for them.

Thanks to the wonder that is YouTube, I can also link to my favorite hockey commercials ever. I don't really remember seeing these in the U.S., they were probably played more in Canada? Check some out here. Also here. Also cool are the Spartacat vids for the Ottawa Senators. FAITES DU BRUITES!

No comments: