Monday, February 26, 2007

There is no emotion; there is peace.


Manny Ramirez reported to Sox Spring Training Camp this morning in what was, quite frankly, a brilliant move. His post-Daisuke arrival afforded him much more media coverage than if he had reported on time.

Even better, he is being lauded in some circles for "reporting early." Well, I guess he was "early." "Early" not as in "before the date the Red Sox required position players to report", but rather "before the (arbitrary) date a random relief pitcher (Julian Tavarez) indicated Manny would show up."

I will be using this technique in the future. The next time I'm given a deadline, I will have a subordinate (preferably one with a history of disciplinary concerns) announce on which post-deadline date I will complete the task. I will then attempt to sell my 2001 Honda Accord, and an autographed photo of myself, for 200K in New Jersey, when I should be working on my task. Then I will report, with my task completed, after my boss' deadline, but prior to the deadline announced by my lackey. My agent will give an interview reminiscent of the highly-informative Rosenhaus-Owens interviews. I will not speak to the media. And the big story will be my new red dreadlocks.

Now that Manny has reported, Schilling has not been given a contract extension, and Daisuke has been in camp for awhile, I'm hoping the drama and hype will die down. A least a little. I'm ready for the next phase of Spring Training. The phase where actual games are played on actual fields involving, for the most part, actual players. I can't wait to see Daisuke mow down Liberal Arts majors from Boston College. (BC SUCKS!) I'll be excited to see Ellsbury hit .450, proving that the Sox' farm system is indeed strong. When Pineiro retires 2 AA roster-filler types and a future COSTCO associate in order to pick up a save, my concerns over the closer postion will be diminished. When Beckett gets bombed, I'll realize that he was "working on some stuff", and take solace in the knee-buckling curve ball he threw on the pitch before he gave up that grand slam. And no matter what Papelbon does, he is still a Jedi. And it's always good to have a Jedi around. Especially in a brawl. Or on a duck hunt.

No comments: