Monday, March 12, 2007

An addiction revealed...

I have an addiction. It's not something I feel particularly proud about. It's not a topic I ever speak about. Just too damn uncomfortable.

On some level, I'm just beginning to realize the extent of the effects of my addiction. I'm not even really sure when my problem reached addiction status. But it's affected my productivity level in the workplace. It's affected me outside of the workplace in ways I cannot even quantify. I'm still grappling with the question of just how much control I still have. And how much I have lost that can never be recovered.

I guess that's the important question. What can still be salvaged? I've committed to making some changes in my life. I realize I have a problem. I guess that's a small triumph. I need many more W's, though. I'm battling an insidious enemy. But I know I can win. Well, I'm pretty sure I can at least tie, and win in the shootout.

I'm not even sure why I am writing of this struggle, rather than internalizing it, which is my typical modus operandi. Maybe writing about it is therapeutic, in a way. Perhaps I'm looking for others with the same problem to join me in my battle. OUR battle. Perhaps I just want others to be aware of the potential dangers. I'm really only sure of one thing right now.

My name is Mike and I am a YouTube addict.

1 comment:

lauren said...

Welcome to the club, my friend.